Shawn's Reviews > Darkness Before Dawn

Darkness Before Dawn by J.A. London

Aug 16, 12

Read from August 14 to 16, 2012

I have a tough time doling out 5 stars to a book. They have to be an ultimate favorite for me to do that. It would have to be a read that would make me lose sleep to finish it all in one sitting. This book came pretty close to that. I want to give it 5 stars, I really do, may change it some time.

The world it's set in is some thing you could imagine happening if Vampires came out. The changes in the future to our society. It's like one of the "opian" societies. Where in the future every thing you know is gone and you live like you were in the past. Dystopian? Anyway....

I loved the different take on the vampires. Not some thing I have read so far in other series. It's very well written. You can get a good feel of the world around our main heroine. There's depth to each secondary character without over doing it. It's written from the eyes of our teenage heroine, so we would get to know the others characters through her eyes. Develop deeper bonds to them.

Dawn, the heroine, is not like other teenagers. I was very impressed with her character. I didn't have to read a lot of moping, teenage angst. Suffer through read 100 pages of her inner turmoil, struggling to figure out who she is, what to do and how to sneak out to do it. That gets a little old after awhile. Dawn has all the teenage problems above including boys, friends, yet she still stayed herself. She confronted situations head on with inner strength. It's good to see a strong teen heroine now a days.

It was a fast, easy read. A book you were disappointed that it ended. I was very happy to have 4 or 5 pages of the next book at the end to keep me happy. I just can't believe I have to wait til December for the next one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Before Dawn.