Antof9's Reviews > The Beach House

The Beach House by Mary Alice Monroe

Dec 03, 08

bookshelves: 2005-read, women, made-me-cry
Read in January, 2005

I have to say, this book surprised me! Looking at it, I would have assumed it was a generic romance novel like many of the other books on the shelves at my club. But I wouldn't even call it a romance novel. There is some romance in it, but it's very clean, and that's definitely not the central focus of this book.

One thing I didn't like and it almost put me off at the beginning of the book is something I consider a lazy authoring technique -- having the characters say things to each other like "you know me -- I love to be outside" or "you know me -- I can't do anything without my morning coffee!" It seems such a lazy way to set up characters, and so obvious -- people who actually know each other (and know each other well) don't say that to each other. Because they already know it! I might say to a friend, "you know how I am about maple doughnuts", and she does. But I don't explain to her how I am about maple doughnuts -- she knows! Anyway, there was a lot of this in the beginning of the book, but I kept going. And I'm glad I did :)

It's a little nature-lover-y, because of the whole deal with the turtles, but they are so integral to the story that it wouldn't have been a story without them. I appreciated the author giving some information and education about them, but not using the story as a device to further a bleeding heart cause.

The development of the mother/daughter relationship in this book is really beautiful. Although I wondered often how the daughter was paying bills and what she was doing for money, her "transformation" from high-powered city career woman to turtle lady was for the most part very believeable.

I also liked the unwed mother's character. It was fascinating to see how she viewed Cara and her mother, money, home, etc. Her boyfriend was annoying, but I guess that was his job.

I did like this book, and will definitely recommend it to others.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beach House.