Dan's Reviews > Red Prophet

Red Prophet by Orson Scott Card

Dec 15, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in December, 2008

I liked this one better than the first book. Probably because the ratio of questions answered to questions asked was higher. Certainly there are still a lot of open questions and story elements that I'm sure will be addressed in the subsequent volumes, but, unlike book 1, this actually felt like a complete story from beginning to end.

This book addresses questions of European/Native America interactions in the fictional American West of the early 1800's. My daughter's librarian said she didn't like this author/series because he's too "rude". I understand the comment, because Card has this amazing ability to speak from multiple view points very naturally.

In one paragraph you are reading from the point of view of those who have little or no respect the Native Americans and then a few pages later the point of view is that of the brother of the "Red Prophet" who would like to kill or evict all whites from the continent. So I guess the presentation of the attitudes of these widely disparate groups and individuals does result in some "rude" language and even a few uncomfortable passages here and there. But I see this as part of the genius of the writer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Prophet.

Michael Ames I think your assessment of the librarian's comment is correct -- she may not recognize that what he's doing is writing from the perspective of a "rude" person and, therefore, being rude. He does it well.

But he can take it to extremes. One of his earlier books, later revised, was "Treason". Really an amazing premise and very creative storyline, but far, far to base and gruseome for me. I couldn't finish it. The effect is probably amplified if you're reading his books assuming that as an LDS author, he wouldn't be writing anything of offense to LDS readers. Not true. He writes a wide variety of books that would appeal to a wide variety of tastes -- choose wisely. :)