Amelia's Reviews > The Woman Who Rides Like a Man

The Woman Who Rides Like a Man by Tamora Pierce

May 28, 2014

bookshelves: best-plot, fantasy, best-character-set, own, reviewed

Originally posted on The Authoress: Book Reviews & More.

*This is a mini review*

In The Woman Who Rides Like A Man (a wordy title for today's standards), Alanna is eighteen-years-old and has been granted her knight's shield. In this third installment, we follow her adventures in the Great Southern Desert of Tortall.

What strikes me most about The Woman Who Rides Like A Man is the masterful expansion of the world. Tamora Pierce doesn't keep Alanna cooped up in a castle in a city. Alanna, fitting for her character, travels. Of course, she finds trouble along the way, or it finds her, whichever.

Just like in In the Hand of the Goddess, Pierce excellently crafts a new stage in Alanna's life. The struggles that Alanna faces in her romantic life continue in their natural progression and test Alanna's heart. Also, her aptitude for leadership is made more apparent in this one, which I particularly liked seeing because I feel it's something today's fantasy is lacking.

I am also amazed at how much action is packed into so few pages. It keeps me pinned to the pages, captured in the story. I can't help but devour these books in one sitting.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman Who Rides Like a Man.