Mary Anne's Reviews > Feel-Bad Education: And Other Contrarian Essays on Children and Schooling

Feel-Bad Education by Alfie Kohn

Sep 23, 12

bookshelves: book-club, kindled, non-fiction, pedagogy
Recommended to Mary Anne by: Deanna
Read from August 12 to September 07, 2012

This is the first book I've read by Kohn, and I'm so glad I read it. My book group has decided to start reading The Homework Myth: Why Our Kids Get Too Much of a Bad Thing, so I've got my library's copy tucked in my room. I digress.

One awesome thing about this book is that I actually didn't get the book. Rather, almost all of the chapters were available at Kohn's website, so I highly recommend going there for more of his stuff (bonus points for accessibility). His agenda is progressive education, and that system has its own complexities and issues. What I like is that he pushes against boundaries and assumptions we have about children and their learning. I teach college-level students, and while this seems to be mostly geared toward the teachers of younger students, I remind myself that my students were those younger students, so it gives me a greater understanding for how they got to be the way they are when I see them.

Overall a fascinating read and an excellent catalyst for discussion among parents and educators.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feel-Bad Education.