Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews's Reviews > A Breach of Promise

A Breach of Promise by Victoria Vane

Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: erotic, historical, m-f, anal-play-sex
Read in August, 2012

Originally posted at: http://whippedcream2.blogspot.com/201...

What is that old saying? 'If you play with fire, you’re bound to get burned.'

That is the lesson learned by our protagonist, Marcus. Reluctant to enter into a betrothal with Lydia, who is just turning seventeen, he does what is required by family obligation. His father and uncle, the Duke of Bedford, set up the match with no consultation from Marcus. He would prefer to focus on his own burgeoning political career, and still wants to sow his wild oats. Who wants to get married when you're young and having fun?

And what’s the best way to put off your betrothed? Well, showing up to the engagement slash birthday party drunk of course. The young couple leave the party for a moment and Marcus’ true feelings about their engagement are revealed, of course crushing poor Lydia’s heart and dreams. But between trying to prove that she is not a child and his drunkenness, things get a little hot and heavy in the garden.

What Marcus didn’t know was that evening he started a low burn within Lydia. A burn he let simmer for six years! Now as a woman of twenty three and still not married, Lydia has had enough and asks to be released from the engagement with Marcus. While he was off playing political diplomat, Lydia was a home waiting and wanting until she grew into a sharp, educated woman. She has plans and dreams, and Lydia has had enough of Marcus’ blantant brush off to getting married. Can’t say I blame her, who makes a woman wait six years during that time period?

Of course Marcus’ pride is wounded by Lydia’s request and thus begins a witty and emotional game of chess between the two. Deciding to bite the bullet and finally concede to marrying Lydia, Marcus is shocked when he finds a beautiful and not only well rounded, but quick witted woman. And Lydia is shocked when she realizes that even though her mind is totally off marrying Marcus, her body is all full steam ahead to the idea. And so begins the cat and mouse game of should they or shouldn't they get married.

I loved this book. So much so I have read it twice. Victoria Vane wrote a wickedly funny, sexy and witty tale about lust and love set in the Georgian Era as opposed to the typical Regency/Victorian you find in most historical romance. My favorite quote from the book is made by Marcus as he’s trying to convince Lydia that marrying him is in her best interest: “Our children.” He expounded in his most seductive tone. “The fruit of our loins that would be nothing less than heaven in the making.” My other favorite part of the story is the last few pages when Ms. Vane makes it clear that parents often do know "what's best".

I loved both characters immensely, both of their inner monologues had me giggling and yet the sex scene had me fanning myself. This is pretty raunchy for the time period, but in a good way and Ms. Vane does it in a very forward thinking way. Just overall an awesome read and top of my recommend list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Breach of Promise.