Rachel Brand's Reviews > Nancy's Mysterious Letter

Dec 03, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: nancy-drew, teen-ya, 2009, mystery-thriller
Read in January, 2009

I reckon that the copy of this book which I own is from the 1960s due to the style of drawings, but it appears to be the original 1932 text. I now understand the statement on Wikipedia which said that the British publishers of Nancy Drew "revised" the books to suit the British audience. The British Nancy Drew books which I've read (one of which was published as early as the 70s) have a lot more detail in them, and appear to portray Nancy as a young woman in the 1950s, not the 1930s. There were a lot of comments in this book about Nancy being a brilliant and contentious driver, and several people lectured her on "not knowing her place" and being too independent for a woman of her age. Bess and George barely featured and Ned acted like he was formally courting Nancy! Nancy also wears evening gowns and sets out to buy a hat in the Emerson colours to wear to Ned's football game. As quaint as this book was, I definitely prefer the British Nancy Drew books. The mystery is generally much more complex and detailed. Overall, this was a rather sweet book to read, but Nancy just didn't seem to be the Nancy Drew who I grew up with. 5/10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nancy's Mysterious Letter.