Lesley's Reviews > Durham Tales: The Morris Street Maple, the Plastic Cow, the Durham Day that Was More

Durham Tales by Jim Wise

Dec 24, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, north-carolina, 2011, history
Read from December 18 to 24, 2011, read count: 1

Loved the stories about Durham history that filled this book! It was a quick read, and I wish there had been even more stories! Nice placement of related photos throughout.

One thing I learned was that Durham was named after Dr. Bartlett Durham. Thanks to some clues in the book (like who his mother's "people" were, I was able to figure out that I'm related to Bartlett Durham!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Durham Tales.

12/18/2011 page 19
show 5 hidden updates…

message 1: by bookczuk (new)

bookczuk Took me a minute to figure out if this was Durham in the UK, or the Durham I know and love 5 hours north. If I ever stumble upon a copy, I'll snag it because we love that region and go there frequently. One of the places we've pipe-dreamed about retiring to is up near there.

Lesley Sorry, should've mentioned NC! The book is a charmer, for sure! I bet you'd like it a lot! It's broken into short stories, which makes it easy to put down and pick up at any time.

I've been back in the area for a decade now and really like it!

If you land up in this area, we do have a monthly Bookcrossing meeting in nearby Raleigh. I haven't been in a while because of conflicts with grad school classes, but they're good people! (No surprise!)

message 3: by bookczuk (new)

bookczuk I've tried several times to make the Raleigh meetup, but have yet to succeed. One day!