bookczuk's Reviews > The Same Sweet Girls

The Same Sweet Girls by Cassandra    King

Dec 03, 08

bookshelves: bookcrossing, met-the-author, southern-author
Read in January, 2007

CAssandra King is a local writer who I have just started to read. Of the books of hers I have read, this is my favorite so far. She took a group of distinct personalities and wove them together in an interesting tale. Funny thing is that part of the setting is my beloved Georgia mountains. When the girls are up at Blue Mountain, I pictured RAbun County in my mind and felt right at home in the hollows and havens of those lush Southern Appalacian hills. While this is a book definitely geared towards women, it wasn't bad-- light and quick, but with enough substance that you didn't feel like you'd just had an overly sweet milkshake with a cloying aftertaste that some of this genre leave you with.

While one or two of the same old girls were pretty standard fare, the three explored the most fully, Corrine, Lanier and Julia rang true to me. They felt like women I could know or may have met. Life is not always easy or pretty, but it is for the living, and these women found a way to find their way through the vagrancies of life.

Umm...did I mention she is Pat Conroy's wife?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Same Sweet Girls.