Melissa McShane's Reviews > City of Ruins

City of Ruins by Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction, space-travel, time-travel, action-adventure
Read in August, 2012

This sequel to Diving Into the Wreck feels very different, and while I wouldn't say it's a better book, I do think it's more suited to an ongoing series. Where Diving Into the Wreck was a thriller, City of Ruins is science-fiction adventure at its finest.

A few years after Boss (and now it's established that this isn't her name, but a title) and her team discover stealth tech, she's established an organization dedicated to finding Dignity Vessels and securing them so the Empire (which is trying to recreate stealth tech to help them take over the galaxy mwahahaha) can't get them. One of Boss's researchers has found what she believes is a sign of stealth tech; the problem is, it's on a planet, not in space. Boss investigates reluctantly, but she and her team soon discover that what's under the surface of this planet is worth far more than all the ships they've found to date.

This feels a lot less bleak than the first one, as though there's hope for a better future instead of inevitable pain and death. It's a little annoying that the characters only fall into two categories: people who agree with/are admired by Boss, who are worth admiring; and people who oppose Boss, who are greedy, selfish, arrogant, whiny, or some combination of the above. I like the parallel storyline, with Boss's investigation alternating with (view spoiler) (I won't say much about the plot, because I enjoyed working out what was happening as it happened). And unlike the first volume, this ending leaves a lot of room for future adventures and made me look forward to reading more.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ruins.