CLM's Reviews > The Naughtiest Girl in the School

May 16, 09

bookshelves: childrensbooks, schoolstory, uk
Recommended to CLM by: Chappaqua, NY library
Read in January, 1969

Elizabeth Allen is such a rude and provoking child that her governess quits and her parents, in despair, send her to boarding school. To punish them for sending her away, Elizabeth is determined to be the naughtiest girl in the school and thus be expelled as quickly as possible.

Whyteleafe School is unusual because it is both co-ed and more or less self-governing (in an era where all schools in fiction were single sex and the teachers all powerful). The Head Boy and Girl are portrayed as so wise and so fair that even Elizabeth is disconcerted and impressed by them and longs for approval. Seeing other children thrive in this environment and unexpectedly longing for friends eventually inspire Elizabeth to turn over a new leaf, much to the delight of her schoolmates and parents.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Naughtiest Girl in the School.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate I've never read any of the naughtiest girl books, although Malory Towers, St. Clare's and the Famous Five were all staples of my childhood. Perhaps it's time I expanded my Enid Blyton horizons!

message 2: by CLM (new) - rated it 4 stars

CLM This series seems aimed at a slightly younger audience than Malory Towers and St. Clare's. Annoyingly, I cannot find book 1, although I am sure I own at least one and possibly two copies, and want to share it with my nieces.