Eva Pohler's Reviews > Mothers and Other Liars

Mothers and Other Liars by Amy Bourret

Aug 14, 2012

Read in February, 2012

How would you feel if what you believed to be true about your nine-year-old daughter weren't, and she was suddenly taken away from you even as you attempted to do the right thing? I don't think I could go on living, but Ruby does as she fights to be reunited with her daughter in Amy Bourret's well-crafted novel, Mothers and Other Liars.

With a literary, musical style and vivid characters and setting, Bourret takes us through Ruby's struggle in Santa Fe, New Mexico to avoid prison and protect her precious daughter, not to mention the baby growing inside of her. I found myself sobbing uncontrollably and clinging to my own daughter after sneaking into her room in the middle of night, just to remind myself that she was still there. I can't recall another book making me react so strongly. I could barely read between my tears.

Ruby comes up with a surprising plan to save her daughter, and, I have to say that, as a mother, I would have done the exact same thing! Ruby's actions are entirely believable and sympathetic, and I couldn't have been more pleased with the ending.

I highly recommend this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mothers and Other Liars.