Leona Bodie's Reviews > George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 4Book Bundle:A Song of Ice and Fire Series: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows (Song of Ice & Fire)

George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 4Book Bundle by George R.R. Martin

Aug 15, 12

Read in August, 2012

If FEAST OF THE CROWS were the first title of the Song of Ice and Fire Series, I'd never have read the quadrilogy. The previous sequels were on the edge of your seat exciting and hard to put down. FEAST OF THE CROWS is the carrion of the lot. Characters of import that you'd expect to see, such as Tyrion, Lady Catelyn, Bran and Daenerys Targaryen were MIA, replaced by long-winded, minor characters, who are long in discussion and short on action. For the first time in the series, my eyes glazed over or blurred with boredom and my overwhleming inclination was to skip draggy passages.

So much maiming! Every character portrayed as good or innocent is maimed. That was uninspired and disturbing. Frankly, I didn't see the point and at times the gratuitous violence nauseated me such as Myrecella, Rob, etc.

Will Lady Brienne ever fulfill her mission? And if she does, will she ever have so much as have a fingernail left? Will Jon Snow ever know his siblings are alive? This sequel left me with little closure and a lot of frustration, since much of the plot never came to a point. The extended passages and lengthy interruptions between each character's tale made me loose interest in their particular stories.

The endless conflict between good and evil is frustrating since the bad constantly get the upper hand. No one character emerges as the protagonist. There's no triumphs that keep the plot pulsing, just endless chapters creeping to a dissatisfying close. No little victories to light the way. The Stark Family might has well have been cursed for their never-ending list of calamities while Cercei succeeds as the flagrant antagonist.

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 4Book Bundle.