Marleen's Reviews > Shelter

Shelter by Harlan Coben

Aug 15, 12

bookshelves: harlan-coben
Read from August 13 to 14, 2012

I wish I could rate with half stars because this book is a solid 3,5 stars. Well, it was clear that finishing reading LIVE WIRE would lead directly into reading SHELTER, as it covers partly one of the story-lines of Live Wire, but only from Mickey Bolitar’s view-point. At the same time, it’s a continuation of that story, and to my disappointment the mystery isn’t solved when SHELTER ends. How very clever.
Myron’s nephew, Mickey is a great kid. He’s fifteen and he hasn’t lived a conventional life. His parents lived like nomads for fifteen years, traveling, and working all over the world for the Abeona Shelter organization. We don’t get to know what the organization really stands for. Its purposes are purely good, but still, it seems a bit obscure – and that is the enigma that Mickey is slowly realizing he needs to uncover.
Mickey’s father died in a car accident when he left the Abeona Shelter organization and his father’s death totally undid his mother, so badly that she started using drugs. Mickey lives with Myron now - while his mother is in rehab.
It's important to point out that Mickey doesn't like his uncle very much. Lots has to do with they way Myron and his younger brother Brad (Mickey's fater) parted fifteen years ago. Let's just say, at that time it was not with brotherly love.
It doesn't take long before the reader figures out that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. The way I see it, Mickey is a younger version of Myron. He’s a fixer, a helper, a rescuer, with a genuinely good heart. His group of friends are refreshingly ‘unusual’ and luckily for Mickey, they are smart and loyal. I truly enjoyed Spoon and Ema.

I can’t wait to read the sequel to this book. Hopefully Mickey will get some closure. And I look forward to the day that Mickey and Myron finally recognize that they have so much in common. I think we'll have to wait a little longer before Mickey opens up towards his uncle, realizing an open communication would bring them more together and that would certainly benefit them both.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shelter.