Christi Snow's Reviews > Phantom Shadows

Phantom Shadows by Dianne Duvall

Aug 14, 2012

Read in September, 2012

My Review:
Last year, this was one of my new favorite series and I have been dying for Bastien's book. The original bad-guy (in book #1) this is an Immortal that has been on the outside for much too long, when he didn't know any better.

Now, three books later, he has settled into the Immortals group, although no one is very comfortable with the fact. He is daily faced with outright distrust and aggression. What makes this so heartbreaking is the fact that he's truly a good guy. He's always out there trying to protect the underdog (which is how he ended up on the other side from the immortals...he was trying to save the vampires). But too many times, things end up going badly and he gets wrongly judged for it.

One of the few people who truly sees the real him is Dr. Melanie Lipton. She's the doctor working with the vampires they have in captivity, trying to come up with a cure for the virus that drives them insane. The two vampires she's working with are two of Bastien's former followers and he's friends with them. She sees him as he visits them every day and knows he's doing everything he can to ease their positions....even to the detriment of his status within the Immortals. This is a guy who will do ANYthing he has to if it helps a friend in need.

They have a mutual attraction that Bastien keeps putting off. He knows his outcast status will hurt Melanie and possibly even cost her the job she loves and is so good at doing. It's not a risk he's willing to take....either for her or the vampires that she's helping. They are too important to him....all three of them. But things come to a head rather quickly when Melanie discovers an antidote to the drug that can take down the Immortals and Bastien self-doses himself with it to test it.

I continue to adore Bastien's character. He's incredibly passionate. When he believes in something he fights with all that he has for it. But he's also incredibly protective and sweet. He can sense feelings with a simple touch and that makes him incredibly empathetic. He's always willing to give someone an extra chance...and there are several examples of that in this book. I loved watching him become close to the French Immortal brothers in this one. They originally hated him, but by working with him, start to see the error of their ways, especially Etienne who can pick his brain when Bastien accidentally lets his mental barriers down.

I love this whole group of characters. They are a very different group than you normally find with these types of books, but I like them all in their own ways. I am especially fascinated with Zach (much like I was fascinated with Bastien before this book) and hope we get more of his story soon.

I will admit there is A LOT to the over-riding series story...and it is definitely going to some really intriguing places. This whole series is amazingly creative. But in this book, I was thrilled with the first half because it truly focused on Bastien and Melanie. The second half went more into the overall story. While I like that story, I wasn't ready to spend time on it away from Bastien and Melanie yet and that hurt my overall rating on the book, although I do love the whole over-riding series. I know, I know...there's no pleasing me. I just wanted MORE Bastien & Melanie, but that would have probably added another 100 pages to an already long, but really good, book.

If you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend this series!!

Giggle-worthy quotes:
Sarah cleared her throat. "If it helps, I didn't see Bastien coming either."
Darnell grinned. "Yeah, but you managed to shoot him twice and stab him in the ass."Laughter erupted.
Seth held his hands up. "All right. All right. Settle down. We're all glad Sarah stabbed Bastien in the ass."

I received a complementary copy of this book in return for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phantom Shadows.