Alex's Reviews > Lucky Jim

Jan 12, 16

liked it
bookshelves: reading-through-history, 2013, rth-lifetime, favorite-reviews
Read from January 29 to February 10, 2013

In this comic classic from 1954, an...oh God, I can't. I can't muster the fucks for one more book about a white guy who works at a university. I can't. I don't want any more.

Here is the plot: this white guy, I don't know, and then whatever. Here's how I felt about it: I felt ennui. I don't care, put me in a chair by the window, put on soft music, let me die.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucky Jim.

01/29
15.0% "Fuck, is this more Evelyn Waugh?"
01/29 marked as: read

Kelley Best description of a hangover ever.

message 2: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El Your review really doesn't match your 4-star rating. Y'know, just to be that Goodreads person who likes to be a jerk. (Except I'm genuinely curious, not intentionally being a jerk. This time.)

Alex Fine, you're right, I changed it to three.

message 4: by Alex (last edited Nov 30, 2015 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alex (I just wrote this review exactly now because I was too crushed with apathy to even write anything back when I read this. I probably gave it four stars so no one would argue with me so I wouldn't have to talk about this book ever again.)

message 5: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El Fair enough. I support your apathy.

message 6: by Sera (new) - rated it 1 star

Sera Ugh! I really disliked this book. I didn't find Jim to be lucky or funny.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul Thank you for making me laugh!!

message 8: by Juliana (new)

Juliana This might be my favorite review from you, and that's saying a lot. :)

Alex Ha, thanks for the kind words, y'all. Maybe I should try to pull more reviews out of a crushing black hole of apathy.

message 10: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El At least maybe some more drunken reviews. I imagine your days of drunken reviewing may be coming to an end in... what was it? Four months?

message 11: by Alex (last edited Dec 01, 2015 08:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alex Yep, four months. (Good memory!) But, I mean, honestly, my drunken review days ended a few years ago. When I realized that I don't make a ton of sense sober either.

message 12: by Lise (new)

Lise Petrauskas Four months! Wow!

message 13: by Kaion (new)

Kaion Four months! Congrats!

*Everyone notes in their agendas that 2016 is the year they finally aren't outread by Alex*

message 14: by Alex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alex Maybe I'll read 500 books, but they'll all be about caterpillars and bunnies.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads No, you'll read the same two books (one about caterpillars, and one about bunnies), 250 times each.