Sheila's Reviews > Labyrinth

2039269
Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, scifi-fantasy
Read in August, 2012

Kat Richardson’s Labyrinth may not be the end of Harper Blaine’s story, but it has all the tension and urgency of an ending, together with the sense of satisfied completeness at story’s close. Threads meandering through previous books come together, and the author does a great job of reiterating the important without alienating readers. It’s been a while since I read the previous volume, Vanished, and I was concerned I might not remember enough—vital scenes from the story drifting back out of memory’s reach. It was pleasing to find I could pick this volume up without feeling lost at the start, and the recap came as an enjoyably essential part of the story when beloved characters needed to know the details just as much as I did.

Kat Richardson continues to blend surreal with real in Labyrinth, combining vividly real settings from ancient orchard to deserted office, with swirling magic and the ever-present grey. Just as Blaine has learned how her own life has been manipulated, so other characters come to the fore with their pasts fitting them perfectly to the present. This novel’s danger could be earthshattering, and it grows with the pages keeping them quickly turning. Blaine learns that trust works both ways, that change is inevitable, and that sometimes you really do have to hurt before you heal—an interesting collection of lessons hidden in this tale as allies gather to save the world.

A satisfying novel on its own, a great culmination to the threads of previous tales, and a story that ends with just the right sense of completion, and just the right opening left for more, this one has me convinced I’ll keep following the series.

Disclosure: I got the book for Christmas and my husband read it before I did!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Labyrinth.