Kim's Reviews > Lost

Dec 07, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: my-book
Read in December, 2008 , read count: 1

Winnie Rudge starts off with nothing more than the intention to write her novel, only to be propelled into a story that takes on a life of its own. Is Winnie Rudge on to something real and mysterious or is it just a story in her head waiting to be written?

Winnie is a tough protagonist to like... and maybe it's not the reader's task to like her. I stayed by Winnie's side, rather reluctantly, throughout the story trying to figure out what was happening. Even after finishing the book, I am still not sure what happened. Or how I was supposed to feel about it all.

The story took so many turns, intertwining so many characters, set in locations with so much detail that I felt more lost and overwhelmed than informed, which I assume was the intentional goal of so much information.

Gregory Maguire, hands down, writes amazing tales. Interpretations of what a person thinks they know the story to be. I loved Wicked, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, and to some extent, Mirror Mirror. The Wizard of Oz, Cinderella, and Snow White took on lives that were far more interesting than the fairy tale variety.

However, Lost takes on more of the style I didn't enjoy as much that was used in Son of a Witch, but even that story was closer to Wicked than not. I prefer the fantasy world that Maguire invents for a story set in another world or far off reality. Lost is too present day that the story seems more like modern craziness.

This is not one of my favorites by Maguire.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost.