Sheila's Reviews > Publish Like the Pros: A Brief Guide to Quality Self-Publishing and an Insider's Look at a Misunderstood Industry

Publish Like the Pros by Michele DeFilippo

2039269
Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in August, 2012

This insiders look at a misunderstood industry will teach prospective self-publishers lots about the things that go wrong. Why do we need editors? because even after paying for editing, more errors will still be there (ah, how well I can attest to this as I read the galleys for my novel just after reading this book!). What is type-setting? that process whereby diagonal lines of white space are eliminated, vital sentences that collapse on the page-break have their words conveniently stretch, right-justified lines that look like they've been exploded are changed back to words…

From cover concepts and templates, to websites and marketing plans, this book has something for every writer, whether they’ve already decided to self-publish, or they’re just trying to work out what other people are paying for. The author, owner of 1106 Design, a Phoenix-based company offering all the help recommended in this book, certainly knows what she’s writing about and explains it clearly and well. Okay, so she may have included a few faint touches of self-marketing, but not enough to put me off recommending the book.

The author assumes a desire to control everything might drive self-publishing. She points out wisely how paying for help can give more rather than less control. Of course, some of us can't afford that help, but the lessons we need to learn are the same, and this book is seriously helpful, conveniently laid out, and genuinely informative for all of us. I learned a lot in reading it. So will you.

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book from Cadence group in exchange for my honest review, and I can honestly say it’s a very useful addition to my library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Publish Like the Pros.