Dana's Reviews > If You Have to Cry, Go Outside: And Other Things Your Mother Never Told You

If You Have to Cry, Go Outside by Kelly Cutrone

F 50x66
Aug 14, 12

it was ok

I bought this book after watching Kelly Cutrone's show on Bravo. I admired her tough, no BS attitude but also how she also managed to be endearing at the same time. She seemed like a good role-model so I was excited to read her book to learn more about her but I mainly was interested in her career advice. However the first half of the book with Cutrone's memoirs was a little tough to get through. Most of the time it seemed more like she was bragging rather than "telling it like it is (or was)" with her constant name dropping of now-irrelevant 'celebs' of the late 80s and her impromptu trips to the Hamptons with rich artist boyfriends. She also seemed uncomfortably nonchalant and blunt on describing some of her early "bad girl" experiences in New York (like sleeping with older men and scoring drugs from Italian dukes). Some of her experiences seemed a bit in-genuine but still somewhat entertaining to read so continued on with the book.
Her real advice doesn't really start till the last 2 or 3 chapters of the book. While the advice is why I essentially read the book I would ever take anything she wrote too seriously. Like the whole "creating your own religion" thing was too much for me. And her list of "power-girl movies", had some pretty horrible examples. Some of her other lists and "rules" were more obvious than informative. While I read some of her advice I could hear myself saying "Thanks but I already know that and I'm sure most working women do."
But I would still recommend the book to young women either just entering college or coming out of college and into the work force. Just so long they can get past Cutrone's self-indulgent memoirs without wanting the close the book and throw it out the window.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Have to Cry, Go Outside.

Victoria H. Interested in reading this book, but surprised to learn none of it is career butt-kicking no-tears advice.

Come on, Kell!

Victoria H. Edit: you're so right about those movies. Worst list!