Alex's Reviews > Dear John

Aug 14, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: summer-reads

Originally posted at Cupcakes and Literature

I am a huge Nicholas Sparks fan, and I usually love his books without question. However, with Dear John it was sort of a love-hate (mostly hate) situation. I got this book for Christmas the year the movie came out because I begged my sister to buy it for me so I won’t be surprised when I watched the movie (I never watched the movie because of my feelings for the book).

Anyway, I will just get right to the book. I liked the book because in typical Nichols Sparks fashion it made me cry mostly because of the relationship John was starting to develop with his father after all those years, only to have it ripped away and replaced with grief. I’m getting misty-eyed just thinking about it. The relationship between John and his father kind of reminded me of the one between Ronnie and her father in Sparks’ other book The Last Song. It’s complicated but greatly misunderstood and it hurts to read that just when they were starting to understand one another their relationship and the growth that came with it was cut short.

The thing I hated about this book was Savannah. Okay, here is the thing, I liked her at the start of the book and I thought her and John’s relationship was adorable and sweet. However, that was completely overpowered by her insensitiveness. I hate it in movies, books, and real life, when someone leaves a relationship because of a job (for example the war). Savannah knew going into her relationship with John that he was a solider and there would come a point in time when he would have to go back, and yet she ended up leaving him.

Like what the hell? She completely stomped on this man’s heart. I found it ironic considering Savannah’s friend (who’s name I can not remember) warned John not to hurt her when she was the one doing the hurting. I found Savannah at that point in the book to be incredibly naïve and selfish, and it just showed that she was too young to handle any type of real relationship. I literally launched my book across the room and didn’t finish the last chapter until a month later. Overall, I guess I can say that I did enjoy the book, despite my anger towards Savannah.

Alex @ Breakfast At Bookland and Cupcakes and Literature

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear John.