John Martindale's Reviews > The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion

The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt

Aug 17, 12

bookshelves: philosophy, politics, religion, social-psychology, hope-to-re-read, favorites, audiobook
Read in August, 2012

I loved this book, Jonathan Haidt has that ability to actually understand to the other side and see what is good concerning those he disagrees with. I personally take pride in being able to talk with anyone about practically anything, without getting riled up, defensive or in attack mode. I realize that those who disagree with me, likely have good reasons for what they believe and I am curious what their reasons are. I assume that those with different political and religious belief are not stupid or evil and that it is the same moral drive that pushes me to be pro-life and other pro-choice. And yeah, it is refreshing that Jonathan Haidt shares with me this ability, he has truly listened and gleaned truth from those with different religious and political belief systems. This is admirable to me. I loved his reflections on morality, religion and politics, most of what he said really rung true for me, even though he is an liberal atheist and I am a libertarian Christian.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Righteous Mind.