Sandee's Reviews > The Guardian of Bastet

The Guardian of Bastet by Jacqueline M. Battisti

Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: galley, meh
Read from August 14 to 21, 2012

This is the first time that I've read Jacqueline N. Battisti. She has some promise, I think. I do give her the dues that she deserves as this is a very competitive genre.

It took me a while to read; the world and character building showed promise, but was a little slow and somewhat shallow.

One thing that I did find awesome about this story is that there weren't any moments where I thought, "What happened?" I've read a few new authors and their stories may be okay but there would be gaps in the plot where I thought that I skipped several pages at a time. It is frustrating when that happens, but it didn't happen in this book. The story itself took a long time to work up to 'interesting' but I never quite got into it. I think after the demon scene I was turned off. The main character's 'tough' and 'edgy' feel was rather weak. I am so sorry Jacqueline.

For myself, I won't be picking up another book from Ms. Battisti in the near future, but I'll keep a watch out for her works and perhaps pick another one up once she has a few more books under her belt. I say it was a fair debut.

I cannot recommend this read to anyone I know. This book may be something that others would like but it isn't my cup of tea.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guardian of Bastet.