Emu's Reviews > You Shall Know Our Velocity!

You Shall Know Our Velocity! by Dave Eggers

Aug 30, 12

bookshelves: best-of-2012
Read from August 14 to 28, 2012

This book had problems, but I loved it for them, like a lover I knew could do better but perhaps today wasn't the best day to begin working towards better. Let's stay bad for a while, our souls can grow with the shadows of dusk.

I read the version of this where everything means what it says. Someday I will go back and re-read it, along with the new section that turns everything post-meaning. I think it's called Sanctuary? Classic Eggers, that old ham. Doing exactly what he wants and fuck you if you think he gives a damn. He'll wave some McSweeney money out of his fly and you'll beg for another revision where each mark of punctuation is in a different point size, each number corresponding to a letter of the alphabet, spelling out yet another section of the book, wherein this time the mother is the only real character, and she dreams the whole thing after a benzedrine bender and then wakes up and dictates the story into an 8-track recorder, the endless loop of the tape copying over each bit of story to record the next fragile bit.

Anyway that's how I felt about this book. It was pretty great.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Shall Know Our Velocity!.