Lili's Reviews > Lucid

Lucid by Adrienne Stoltz

Sep 13, 12

bookshelves: favorites-2012, arcs-i-own, contemporary
Read on August 28, 2012

Excuse my language, but this book was a complete mind-f**k in every possibly way...but I loved it.

The characters, the plot, the thought and creativity put behind this by these two authors was all amazing. And that's a lot coming from a girl who tends to shy away from books written by two authors. More often than not, it almost feels as if I can tell the two author's apart. Something like that is distracting to me because I feel as if it interrupts the flow of a book. But this wasn't the case. These authors wrote out their alternating chapters expertly and I was immediately drawn into the story that they weaved together.

Sloane and Maggie are two completely different girls. Sloane lives in a small town and lives a normal life. Maggie lives in New York City and is an aspiring actress that has already nailed a gig or two. Both are so different, but they have one thing in common: when they go to sleep, they don't truly dream. Instead, they completely live through the other's day. Neither of them know if the other is real or if they're just figments of each other's imaginations, but their story is too elaborate to be taken lightly.

What I really liked about this book was that despite the importance of the dream sequences, there was an overarching goal of finding love, mimicked by almost every teenage girl in the country. It shows that it's important to love yourself and to find the right love for you, not to allow others to take advantage of you or to use others for a goal. Love is real, it's raw, and it cannot be faked, especially for business negotiations. It can wound you deeply but it can also make you soar. And that's something that I truly, truly enjoyed while reading. Both of their journies were somewhat similar and incredibly heartbreaking. And I can't say much, but I have no shame saying that I believe Sloane ended up with the wrong guy. I liked Gordy! ah!

The plot progression of this book was amazing. It takes a reader a few chapters to realize what was going on with the dream sequences. If you really want to think about it, the entire book is a dream sequence. After that, it was pretty much smooth sailing until Maggie and Sloane's lives collided. It's hard to figure out up and down as they both go through their identity crises separately, trying to figure out what part of their lives is dream and what part is their reality. It is almost as if they're entering a sudden downward spiral of insanity and you can't help but go with them because as confusing as it is, you want to know what exactly they're going through and what is real. Then you read the last page and your heart stops beating for a second. I'm going to be completely honest and say that I wanted to scream and drag both authors to my room and pepper them with questions about my theories because the ending is certainly open to interpretation, but then I realized that despite the fact that I wasn't fully informed about things, I really enjoyed this ending. It was a shock, it was unexpected, it was totally satisfying and unique. And it delivered the only believable mind-f**k that I have ever encountered in a book. Again, I have to credit this all to the amazing creativity of Ron Bass and Adrienne Stoltz.

This book was amazingly written. I truly felt for these girls because they are both so relatable and have similar struggles. I was rooting for them throughout the entire book and I'd recommend this book to pretty much everyone, especially people who love a unique ending. I'm normally not a fan of endings that are left open to interpretation without spelling exactly everything out for you, but this one got me and will definitely take a spot among my favorites. Heartbreaking, beautifully written, and full of moments that will make you both smile and possibly tear up, Lucid is not a book to be missed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucid.

08/28/2012 page 40
12.0% "Shower break. Really interesting start!"
08/28/2012 page 136
40.0% "Ah, both girls torn between 2 guys! So similar, yet so different. loving this."
08/28/2012 page 240