Charlie Brown's Reviews > Bright Star: Love Letters and Poems of John Keats to Fanny Brawne

Bright Star by John Keats

Aug 17, 12

Read from August 14 to 17, 2012

Hmm

I have to say I am slightly disappointed with this book which arrived this morning.

Not because I don't like Keats' poetry - I already own various collections of his work - but therein lies the problem... I thought that this book would be, foremost, a collection of his letters , in particular those written to Fanny Brawne.

What this book is, in fact, is yet another (unannotated)collection of his poetry with a (very) few letters at the end of the collection - and only one of which is addressed to Fanny.

So, caveat emptor - This is a reasonable addition for collectors of poetry but is definitely not going to greatly enhance anyone's understanding of the relationship between John Keats and Fanny Brawne.

Next time I will check out the blurb on Amazon more carefully rather than trusting to other people's reviews!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Star.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Pamela Hi, not sure if you are reviewing the same book as everyone else, I have this edition and it has all of Keat's correspondence to Fanny Brawne at the beginning of the book, not just a few letters at the end.

Pamela I apologise,it seems to be me who has a different version of this book! My copy is called So Bright and Delicate, an as I said contains all of Keats letters to Fanny. I highly recommend this version as it really does shed light on their relationship, unlike it seems the book you have.