Jason McIntyre's Reviews > Into The Light

Into The Light by Darcia Helle

Aug 14, 12

INTO THE LIGHT by Darcia Helle tackles some new ground. If you can believe it, there are ghosts in this one. Oooh. And a trip into a deep dark place called The Abyss. She doesn’t wander from her trademark of believable characters doing things you and I would do in the same circumstances. But the otherworldliness is a welcome tilt on the murder, mayhem and intrigue you’ve come to expect.

I don’t offer plot recaps in my reviews because I despise ruining even one small bit of a story for any reader. But I’ll tell you that Joe and Max in INTO THE LIGHT are like The Odd Couple with a paranormal twist. Their interplay is the heart of the novel and, while moving towards the satisfying conclusion, their banter is the funny, light centerpiece in a book that is actually talking about some very big things. Who are we? What have we done with our lives? Was there meaning in how we lived? In who we loved?

I spent time between reading sessions pondering this for myself. And anytime a book makes me think about my own mortality – or any larger-than-life concept – I must give due credit to its author.

Darcia Helle takes readers on a path that is never straight and narrow. It’s wide and rich, with colour and intensity. You can’t help but fall for her characters along the way and despise others as you witness their true likeness. Her books tread this wondrous path, taking you on their journey. Ms. Helle’s books are always satisfying glimpses into this very human condition of ours. And INTO THE LIGHT is no exception.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into The Light.

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane Wonderful review, Jason! "An odd couple with a paranormal twist" sounds quite interesting.

Jason McIntyre It's a wonderful read with (as usual for Darcia Helle) well-drawn characters. I recommend it, Jennifer. Thanks for reading my lil review.

j. //