Richard's Reviews > Pale Horse, Pale Rider : Three Short Novels : Old Mortality, Noon Wine, Pale Horse Pale Rider

Pale Horse, Pale Rider  by Katherine Anne Porter

Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read in August, 2012 — I own a copy

1) One thing becomes clear when reading Pale Horse, Pale Rider: Katherine Anne Porter is a woman who spent a great deal of time fretting over semicolons. There is not a single sentence in this entire book that fails mechanically. There are no clunkers. I did not have to read and re-read sentences to figure out what she was getting at (unlike some other Southern writers I could name): all the pertinant details were vividly conveyed to me in the first go. Porter is an excellent prose stylist and it’s a pleasure to read someone so well versed in her craft.

2) Four stars instead of five because her stories make me depressed.

3) Also, (and I don't mean this to objectify her at all) out of all the Southern female writers that I have read (McCullers, O'Connor, Welty) Porter is the hottest. Look at those pronounced cheekbones! Yowza!

4) It is worth noting that KAP and I have the same surname. Perhaps one day my books will be shelved next to hers in the libraries of the future. Hahahahaha yeah right. She's a master.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pale Horse, Pale Rider .