Marissa (Rae Gun Ramblings)'s Reviews > Everneath

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Jan 13, 13

Read from January 08 to 11, 2013

This was a fun, fast, delightful read. I wasn't sure what to expect but when I read that it was a retelling of Persephone's story I was immediately intrigued. I really enjoyed this. Most of the action happens between 3 main characters. While other characters are introduced they are very minor rolls. Usually I need more interaction from a book but somehow this one made it all work. While I wouldn't consider it particularly deep there were many points that I thought that is a lovely line. The characters were likeable, relatable, and very believable. There wasn't any of that stupid frustrating behavior that you get in many ya books. I definitely recommend this book.

Great for fans of Twilight and Twilight haters don't be scared off because it has none of the annoying things that people whine about those books. Nikki is a realistic teen trying to make the best of a few hard situations (not pathetic at all). Cole is an interesting villain with aspects that make you question his evilness. And Jack is what you want from a boy, devoted but not so shallow and smitten not to be cautious.

My only reservation is that at one point after many Greek mythology references there were Egyptian references with no explanation of similarity/differences/etc. It confused me. I've seen this in other books that work with mythological ideas but thought the extra info without any intro was bizarre and I am still a bit confused by it. Maybe I need to learn more about mythology and it will make sense. But this was such a minor part and just a tiny distraction.

I am super excited to read the next book and see where the story leads.

A great read for those loving a school setting with the fun of mythology retelling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everneath.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sandi I thought the random Egyptian stuff thrown in was a little odd as well!

Cody Doll I understand the Egyptian reference. All it's saying it that the myths are connected and that "real".