Rachel's Reviews > The Healer of Fox Hollow

The Healer of Fox Hollow by Joann Rose Leonard

Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fiction, historical-fiction
Read in August, 2012

The Healer of Fox Hollow takes place in the Smokey Mountains during the 1950s through the 1970s. It's a heartwarming story about people being there for each other in the face of tragedy. The story moves at a slow pace, sometimes too slow. I was very anxious to find out what really happened to make Layla mute and my impatience made the story drag in the middle for me. Also, I expected a love triangle to form between Brian, Damian and Layla. That would have added a little drama to the story in the middle I think and spiced things up a bit.

I liked that this book is one of those Southern novels where the people of a small town band together to help each other in times of need. When Layla has her accident, the townspeople are mostly supportive. (Some people are selfish and only care about Layla healing them - those people made really angry for Layla.) I loved how hard Layla's dad Ed tried to be a good dad. Her aunt Avis was also a wonderful and wise character.

Overall, I thought The Healer of Fox Hollow was an engaging and uplifting story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Healer of Fox Hollow.