Lizfig's Reviews > Tigers in Red Weather

Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann

2112009
Aug 16, 12

Read from August 14 to 15, 2012

It's a good and fast read, one step above a beach read. I have a couple comments.

The first half of the book I was sure this was going to end up being a 4 star but somehow, Klaussman decided to decelerate the plot halfway through. The first 3 characters' chapters were very much building momentum and it really propelled me forward but then on the 4th chapter I found myself losing interest... I really think she should have done the order differently, to create that sense of build up that I enjoyed so much in the first half of the book. The final chapter was perfectly chosen though.

The next comment is that I feel there were some superfluous characters who detracted from further developing the main characters (for instance, Daisy's theatre friend). The consequence of this type of narrative is that if you dont' do it very well, the reader will be left feeling like they don't really know any of the characters at all- I had this sensation at the end of the novel. Perhaps removing a few of these accessory characters would have given us a chance to get to know everyone better. There were certain actions taken or not taken by certain characters (I won't spoil it) that just don't make sense to me and I really hate that feeling... they lose their since of realness.

Finally, the ending left me slightly unsatisfied. I'm okay with tied or untied endings, as long as they're done well. If you are going to leave things untied, the reader should at least have some sense of the different possible outcomes, the ability to speculate. Here, we really lose a sense of most of the main characters. I disliked that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tigers in Red Weather.