Antof9's Reviews > Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire

Dec 02, 08

bookshelves: 2007-read
Read in March, 2007, read count: 1

First, I liked this WAY better than Wicked! It was so much easier to read, to follow, to keep reading and not put down ... Of course it had some darkness to it, like Wicked, but nothing on that scale! Talk about your fractured fairy tale, huh? One of the previous people who read this book said they still weren't sure if they liked it, which is kind of how I feel too. But I think I liked it!

I loved Caspar and the Master. I wanted them both to be happier, but I guess that wasn't the point. And Iris is so gentle and caring. I felt awful for her that she was stuck with the mother she had.

The Clara transformation is fascinating to me, and almost makes me want to read it again. I really cared the most for Iris during the reading, and so was much more interested in her story than anyone else's.

Last, being a little Dutch girl myself (my dad is from Friesland, and came to the U.S. at age 21), I loved the Dutch-ness of it. I know it wasn't the point of the story, but I really liked the part when the water finally froze and everyone was out skating. I think I'd have liked more of that :)
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.