Nanci Tolbert's Reviews > A Land More Kind Than Home

A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash

Aug 18, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading

This one had so much potential, but it falls short in the ways first novels so often do. A good editor would have been a blessing: narratives find themselves interrupted by side-stories that are colorful and interesting, just out of place; style falls into the repetitive subject-verb-direct object sentence structure for paragraphs on end; narrators speak in "I said," "I opened," "I drove," "I asked" constructions that cry for even a little variety; and beautifully original descriptions precede and are followed by the most cliched of expressions. The characters aren't original, but they're very well drawn - and then they behave in the most non-original fashion. The climax is especially unsatisfying, with a denoument that feels like a sled ride down a slope so slippery one has no time to see the entire trail.
The author aspires to Thomas Wolfe-dom and has a long way to go, but I'm glad he has begun that journey and I hope that a little more experience and a harder-hearted editor will be his friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Land More Kind Than Home.