Jeff Erno's Reviews > Sin & Seduction

Sin & Seduction by Allison Cassatta

Sep 12, 12

bookshelves: gay-romance
Read from August 14 to September 01, 2012

Sin & Seduction is the Godfather of m/m fiction. Set in New Orleans, it is the story of a powerful mobster (Dorian) who falls in love with an erotic dancer (Jansen).

The story itself is page-turning, very exciting, and action-packed. It depicts a dark criminal underworld that is filled with violence, greed, rampant sex, and lots of drugs. This gritty portrayal was harsh, particularly due to the fact that I read this book immediately after completing another book by this author which was the polar opposite.

Some have described Sin & Seduction as being trashy, but I would definitely disagree with that characterization. It was dark and it was edgy, but there was a sympathetic quality to the callous main character. Seeing this softer side of him was key to understanding and appreciating the romance that was portrayed.

The issues I had with the story were nothing to do with the overall plot, romance, or even the graphic scenes. There were some plot inconsistencies which should have easily been identified during editing. And the POV was all over the place. Multiple points of view were presented within the same scenes, almost like third person omniscient--but not quite. Those POV shifts should have been identified with section breaks or the sections should have been rewritten, and I can't believe the editors did not insist upon this.

Overall, it was a gripping story, and not trashy in the least.

Concerning those who have complained about the fact that the character Jansen was too much of a wuss and seemed feminine: that's what romance is. It is a classic archetype--damsel in distress saved by knight in shining armor. M/M romance is not supposed to be about two strong men duking it out to jockey for dominance. My absolute favorite kind of stories are those which depict a strong DOM lead and a weaker, more sensitive love interest. I think the people who complain about this dynamic really have issues with men who are not "masculine" enough. To me, the Dom/sub element made the story better.

And of course Jansen would yearn for a lover who did not see him as just a whore. The fact that he was an erotic dancer would have probably heightened this insecurity, not minimize it. Jansen was a dancer, yes, but he fell in love, and he wanted to be more than just a prostitute. I totally buy that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sin & Seduction.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Great review Jeff!