Jack Kirby and the X-man's Reviews > A Quiet Night In

Dec 02, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: childrens, fiction, author-uk, childrens-picture-book, 2008, 1990s
Read in December, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I thought this was a lovely book.

This is part of a series - beginning with Five Minutes' Peace. I haven't read any of the other books in the series. I'd say that as a stand-alone book this book requires more character introduction at the start. Ther is Mr and Mrs Large and four kids - which is a relatively large number in such a short book. The first page of my book is a double page spread with pictures of all four kids - all the introductions really need to be is a name below each of these pictures. In this way Luke will be introduced at the start of the book - rather than 1/2 way through!

I dislike the portrayal of Mr Large. Like every picture book I've read Dad goes to work, while Mum stays home with the kids - as a stay-at-home Dad I would one day like to see my life reflected in a story! Also it seems pretty poor to me that Mr Large comes home and flops on the sofa, even after all the effort Mrs Large and the kids have made in making a lovely dinner. I do like that Mr Large read to the kids - but only after some pleading from the kids.

The introduction of dinner in front of the TV is something I could have done without. My son is still young, so I can afford to be idealistic!

Overall I think the plot represents a vain hope by worn out parents - an early night, with the kids putting themselves to sleep!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Quiet Night In.