Lucy's Reviews > Skeletons at the Feast

Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian

Dec 24, 08

Read in December, 2008

Skeletons at the Feast took me to a dark place - the Holocaust. If there weren't so many great books written about this black mark of the world's history, I would ban myself from reading any books on this topic in the future. I hate that such a horrific occurrence is repeatedly used as bait for novelists.

Bohjalian is a good author, though, and does a good job developing his characters, giving them interesting conflict, all the while threading bits of real history into his story that he obtained through diligent research. I'll give him credit for all of the above.

However, part of me felt like Bohjalian decided this was going to be his one and only time to write about the Holocaust so he was going to put it all in one book. The details he gives about the atrocities committed by the German soldiers, the Russian soldiers and the desperate and destroyed left in their wake is so graphic, so skin-crawling brutal that it borders on gratuitous. Including as much as he does has the opposite effect from the one I imagine the author intended and his book almost becomes a WWII caricature. I'm not saying the things he describes didn't happen. No, he seems to have read enough journals and letters to give each horror story credibility, but to include them all -- in the same book, witnessed by the same characters in the space of about a year -- it made these disturbing acts of cruelty seem made-up. I feel it was a disservice to take someone's real life nightmare and diminish it by setting it alongside so many other nightmares so that they all seem somehow....less. Because that is what happens. The first description was like a punch in the stomach, the next a slap on the face and all the rest...swats on an already numb backside.

As much as I wanted to, I didn't dislike this book. Bojahlian creates a complicated story about the fallout from ignorance, naivety, and privilege found among the rural aristocrats of Poland and Germany near the end of the war. Not forced to witness the daily disappearance of Jews and other minorities, the Emmerilich family was living in relative peace and prosperity, along with their polite relationships with the POWs helping out on their beet farm, until the ugly consequnces of their fuhrer's decisions found their way to the family's country manor, Kamenheim. Anna, The Emmerlich's teenage daughter, falls in love with Callum, a scottish POW, and convinces her parents to allow him to remain with their family instead of sending him back to the prison camps. As Callum and the Emmerlichs flee the approaching Russian troops, the blinders of this family's eyes are removed and they finally see first hand the destruction throughout their land. Along their west-bound journey, they meet and become dependent upon Uri, a young, vigilante Jew posing as a German soldier in order to survive. There is an additional, competely separate story involving a french, Jewish girl named Cecile who is trying to keep herself and her friend, Jeanne, alive while prisoners in a concentration camp that does eventually intersect with Uri and the Emmerlichs but not soon enough to be satisfying

There are plenty of lessons to learn within the pages of this book, but I can't say that it is one I recommend. The author tries to write too many stories at once-- a romance, a look at Nazi sympathizers, stereotypes the Polish people had of Russians, allied prisoners of war, a coming of age story, the gore and sadism of war, Jewish resistance, Jewish survival and an unnecessary epilogue, to make this novel truly great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skeletons at the Feast.

12/15/2008 page 80
21.51% "I'm having a hard time liking this. It's disturbingly graphic." 3 comments
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Heidi L. (new)

Heidi L. Wow, I really liked your review. It helps because it looked so good and he's a great author, but do I really need to read it?? That's the question. In reading your review I think I have read some very good and descriptive books about the holocaust that have touched and effected me deeply, ie. "All But My Life", "Night", etc. I don't feel I would need to read another that is so graphic. I appreciate your honesty.

Lucy I don't think there is anything new here. But, saying I disliked the book for this reason or another felt like dismissing the Holocaust, you know? It's a fine line. But I do think other books have treated the delicacy of the subject matter better than this one did. And it IS graphic, in a way that many non-fluff books seem able to avoid being.

message 3: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte "Bait"? Without such books, without such reminders, we're doomed to repeat such horror. The least of the atrocities committed by the Nazis during WWII cannot be diminished by the worst - and the truth is that people in the camps did witness such unbelievable acts of cruelty and torture within the space of a few months, let alone a year. Should writers refuse to write about that in order not honor it? That just doesn't make sense.

Barbara "Bait" - that was my reaction to "Sarah's Key" which my book group read. But Skeletons went much deeper into the personal complexities of this dark time and I would not classify it among those books that merely take advantage of the holocaust to write a sellable story.

Lucy Barbara wrote: ""Bait" - that was my reaction to "Sarah's Key" which my book group read. But Skeletons went much deeper into the personal complexities of this dark time and I would not classify it among those book..."

I agree that I think Bohjalian treated his subject matter with more respect than "bait" and I only use that term in a general sense because there are so many books written about the holocaust and while I don't feel like the commenter above implied - that it can't be written about or authors should refuse to - but just that when dealing with any history of human massacre, real sensitivity should be used to honor both the memory of the victims as well as being as historically accurate as the story allows. Again, I think Bohjalian tried. I believe the stories he used were sincere and honest, but I remember thinking it was too much. Like reading a long of war crimes instead of a story of a family. It was a long time ago, however, so perhaps my memory is wrong. I have his new book checked out and plan to read it son.

Barbara makes sense :-)

Kristi Krumnow You are absolutely correct. The novelist was too tempted to cram it all in, omitting really good stories, like Uri's, Mutti's, or Cecile's. The final section about Anna and Collum was unnecessary.