Ranting Dragon's Reviews > Ashes of Honor

Ashes of Honor by Seanan McGuire

Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: garrett
Read from August 14 to 21, 2012

The sixth installment of New York Times bestselling author Seanan McGuire’s Toby Daye series, Ashes of Honor, returns us to San Francisco and the world of changeling October Daye.

It’s been a year since the events of the previous novel, One Salt Sea, and Toby still hasn’t fully recovered from the personal losses she sustained during that time. She’s been trying to keep her focus on her responsibilities as Sylvester’s knight and putting in hours training her squire, Quentin—not to mention trying to pay the bills—but it’s not been working so well. Things have gotten to the point where even her most supportive allies are beginning to worry at her increasingly reckless behaviors.

And to top matters off, she’s just been hired to find yet another missing child—except, this time, it’s the changeling daughter of her fellow knight, Etienne. Her name is Chelsea, and, like her father, she is a teleporter, able to open portals between the various realms of Faerie and the mortal plane. She is also the kind of changeling from legend—one with all of the power and none of the control—and is opening doors that have been sealed for centuries, releasing dangers never meant to be seen again. Oh, and there’s the fact that she could destroy the entirety of Faerie if she isn’t found.

Toby must find Chelsea before the world ends, facing unknown deadlines and unknown worlds in her attempts to avert complete disaster. And to further complicate matters, things are stirring in the local Court of Cats, and Tybalt needs Toby’s help with the greatest challenge he’s ever faced.

The worlds next door
One of my favorite things about this series is the sheer diversity of the various areas of Faerie that McGuire introduces us to. In each novel, she branches out a bit further, filling in a section here, revealing a bit there. It’s almost like seeing a tree from a distance and then coming closer to focus on an area of leaves and see all of the details. It’s very smooth, the way McGuire incorporates the worldbuilding of the otherworldly realms of Faerie into our own, familiar world. Some have said that urban fantasy isn’t as “good” as epic fantasy because the world is already built. I would direct those of that mindset to McGuire’s work, because not only does she create entirely new worlds, she melds them seamlessly with our world and all of its own history and character.

A more straightforward plot than usual
One of the things I really started noticing about halfway through the novel is that the overall plot of Ashes of Honor isn’t all that complex compared to the last couple of installments in the series. Sure, it has its surprises—this is Seanan McGuire we’re talking about, after all—but all in all, it’s one of the most straightforward of the series. There’s no discovery of multiple plots going on at once, decisions having to be made to save one thing or the other, etc., etc., et al. Rather, the initial problem is just escalated—repeatedly. The more Toby finds out about her case, the more she realizes just how much danger they (and the world) are actually in.

However, this straightforward plot isn’t a bad thing. Because of it, Ashes of Honor turns into much more of an internal journey for Toby. Many of the events that occur over the course of the novel force Toby to step back and reevaluate what she knows, how she behaves, and how she feels. As she hunts after Chelsea, so does Toby begin to establish and realize who she is as opposed to who she was. It’s a refreshing change of pace and it feels like the logical next step in Toby’s story, and I believe McGuire executed it exceptionally well.

Beautifully crafted characters and relationships
While Toby’s internal, personal journey is more than enough on its own to make Ashes of Honor stand apart from the rest of the series, the level of character work McGuire throws into the mix makes the book shine. As previously stated, Toby undergoes a deeply personal journey, and has to rediscover who she is. This includes her relationships with everyone around her: May, Etienne, the Ludaieg, and especially Tybalt, to name a few. We garner more insights to the workings of Faerie and the various courts and territories (such as Tamed Lightning) because of these evolving relationships. Some new faces are met, and the amount of life and utter believability McGuire manages to give them in a short time is nothing less than breathtaking. Etienne is quite thoroughly fleshed out as a character, and we get to see how Quentin has matured over the last year. Oh, and Tybalt does some decidedly badass things. Again.

And speaking of Tybalt, Ashes of Honor also gives large glimpses into the workings of the Court of Cats, as well into a good chunk of Tybalt’s past. For Toby isn’t the only one going through an internal journey. For both their sakes, Tybalt has to come clean about some rather important things, putting it all out there—something that doesn’t come easily to him. It’s a wondrous thing, to see how these two characters who were once on opposite sides have grown to depend upon each other.

Why should you read this book?
Seanan McGuire has done it again. I always think that the most recent Toby novel will be my favorite, and every time, McGuire ups the ante and puts out a better one. Ashes of Honor finds the balance between being introspective and being action-oriented, and holds that balance exceptionally well. The worldbuilding is natural, flowing, and organic. The characters are real, dynamic, and their relationships are completely believable. With Ashes of Honor, McGuire has crafted a deeply personal and intense story that will keep you on the edge, hoping to be pushed over. In my opinion, it is, hands down, the best Toby to date.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes of Honor.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Oh boy. As if I wasn't already excited enough for September, now I've read this I'm even worse. At least it's only next month now *Next month. Only next month*

Thanks for the great spoiler-free review :)

Jesslyn Everything Seanan does is fabulous. I have added her to my auto-buy author list.

I was skeptical about her other series and held off for awhile, but that one is just as good.

Someone needs to refine the cloning process so that we can get more, more and more

Janice • The Demon Librarian Great review! Sounds like Seanan has done it again (no surprise there!). Only 9 more days to release, woohoo! :D

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian "Only 9 more days to release"

That sounds so much better than saying only next month! :)