Raselius's Reviews > (Un)arranged Marriage

(Un)arranged Marriage by Bali Rai

U 50x66
Dec 02, 2008

Recommended for: teachers, and anyone who work with immigrants experiencing culture clashes
Read in January, 2005 , read count: 3

We read this book at an English book club at my job. We all really liked it and found many things to discuss. Since we work with immigrants in Sweden it was very relevant. The story is very realistic and I thought it was fresh to see the perspective of a man who is being pushed into marriage by his family. The huge gap between his parents and most other relatives and himself is interesting to read about and has tragic consequences when they abandon him in India without his passport or money. You will learn much about culture clashes that young immigrant people experience in their new culture. You must read this if you work with immmigrants. It is very easy to read and perfect for bedtime. The story is very readable and makes you ponder things at the same time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read (Un)arranged Marriage.

Jenniesven I agree with you and it is very easy to find topics to talk about. When they left him in India I got upset. The fact that this actually may happen is just wrong. It gave me something to think about and I'm very glad that my family don't take traditions so harsh. I find it hard to believe that parents actually think that traditions come before their children’s wishes and wants. Maybe it is hard for me to understand because of my different origin. We are all alike but in some ways we are so different, it quite interesting.

Stina Emriksson It is a very educational book and you learn a lot by reading it. We read it in school and I really liked it because it had so many topics to discuss. In many occasions I felt so bad for Manny for example when his family left him in India. I don’t get how you can choose your religion and you’re believes before your child’s happiness. It is hard to relate to for me because I have never experienced that with my family, but it makes me understand more how hard it is for an immigrant to come to another culture and try to fit in although the difficulties with culture clash. The book is written from a male’s perspective about arranged marriage which is really interesting because it’s usually just from a female’s perspective.