Antof9's Reviews > Night Watch

Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

Dec 02, 08

bookshelves: 2008-read
Read in January, 2008

ok, so the BBC read this right at the end of the year/beginning of 2008. And now it's almost the end of March, so I can hardly be expected to remember much of what I wanted to say. However, here's the link to all the blog entries on this book from the club, to start.

Second, I never in a million years would have thought I'd like a Russian vampire book, but I did. I really liked it, and read it very quickly.

Third, don't ever -- and I mean EVER -- watch the movie. It's horrible. Our book club usually has a movie night after each book, where we watch a movie made from the book, inspired by the book, or something that we somehow try to loosely connect to the book (or sometimes just one we've been wanting to see). This one was awful. Really and truly awful, and we found out later is sort of a combination of this book and the second one in the series, Day Watch.

Anyway, just a couple other comments on this. I didn't mark much in the book, but one of my markers reminded me to comment on the translation. We (all of book club) were really impressed at the translation. Not that any of us speaks Russian, but we all thought it was written by someone who really knows English -- understands its colloquialisms, and was able to translate it into something that sounded to us like it was originally written in our language. One funny thing about that, though -- every once in a while, the translator slipped up. In talking about vodka, he confused the expression "rotgut" and said, "It's not great vodka. Not gut-rot, of course, it's Dorokhov, but you know ..." That made me chuckle :)

Anyway, I liked Anton's internal struggles -- it made him so very human, and the idea that there's a good side and a bad side .... it was definitely appealing.

The only thing I could have done without is all the lyrics of Russian songs I don't know. Someone took the time to translate them into English, but they were basically meaningless to me. Probably would be enjoyed by someone who actually knew them.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Watch.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vladislav (new)

Vladislav Andreev I think you did not get the movie - it is totally different form the book, it has it's own plot written by the same author. And it is great and by no means worse than the book. It is (well, actually they are) just different and basically have nothing common with the books.