Amber's Reviews > Grip of the Shadow Plague

Grip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon Mull

Aug 16, 12

Read from August 13 to 16, 2012

It was okay.

Gavin and (remarkably) Seth saved this book. Seth is finally maturing. Gavin is highly likable.

Neil heavily disappointed me. I liked that the author made the Navajo man 'modern' in his language, clothing, etc. Just as I thought Mull had avoided stereotypes, no - he made Neil a shape-shifter, otherwise known to Navajo as skinwalkers. Traditionally, skinwalkers are results of taboo witchcraft and are evil. This offensive and ignorant oversight is fairly common, and could have easily been avoided with a tiny bit of Googling. Also, Kachina are not all evil. The stealing of artifacts from a Kachina by Kendra did not go over well with me. The usage of tomahawks and recycling sacred grounds as a vault for evil magical objects also bothered me very much.

Am I the only one who really, really dislikes the grandmother? Her cynicism wastes so much time. She might as well be a centaur for all her self-importance and lack of listening to other's points of view. She trusts absolutely no one, and is wrong 100% of the time when she actually does try to contribute. I liked her better as a chicken.

Full of plot holes and unrealistic coincidences, but so were the other two.
I think I'll take a break to read something else before finishing this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grip of the Shadow Plague.

08/14/2012 page 71
08/16/2012 page 105
22.0% "EXTREMELY ticked off that the Navajo man is a shapeshifter. I swear to god there better be a good explanation for this."
08/16/2012 page 105
22.0% "Oh, even better... the native female had a tomahawk!"
show 1 hidden update…