booklady's Reviews > New Moon

Dec 02, 08

bookshelves: 2008, fiction, fantasy, youth
Recommended for: no one
Read in December, 2008

If you have any questions or doubts about whether you should encourage your teen read this series, please read this review even though it contains spoilers.

If I was ambivalent about Twilight , I was bored and somewhat irritated with New Moon. In Twilight, Meyer's strength lies in her two main characters: Bella and Edward who she delves into and brings to life. The gradual revelation of more and more -- especially about Edward -- keeps the book's pace up despite little plot development. Not so in New Moon. Again, we have a slow, draggy plot but we already know the score: same town, same main characters, a few changes and the prominent figuring of the character, Jacob, who doesn't come close to Edward. Edward is absent for most of the book. And we see Bella bent on inexplicable reckless behavior and self-destruction. At times New Moon reads like a weak repetition of Twilight. Bella's ultimate goal, however, is trading her soul for the strength she will gain when she becomes a vampire, presumably to protect those she loves. Not altogether surprising I suppose, but it seems to demonstrate the short-sightedness of an eleven y/o more so than the beginning maturity of an eighteen y/o. Oh and Edward is most definitely her god.

Not recommended! With the release of the movie, Twilight, two weeks ago a resurgence in popularity of the books can be expected.

For my review on Twilight, please visit my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New Moon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

booklady I am going to have to rest and read some really GOOD books in between, but yes, I will press on and read/review the rest.