Debbie Reschke Schug's Reviews > Wise Blood

Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor

Dec 02, 2008

I haven't found any modern (and, really, past) authors who write like Flannery O'Connor. She tells such odd stories, like I'm remembering some weird thing that happened to me in the distant past and trying to make sense out of it by getting into other people's brains.
Her stories are so painfully sad, but soulful in a way that makes it more painful to read even if every single character in the book is an awful human being.
I'm sure I don't even understand the depths of what she was trying to communicate in this story, but what I picked up is the following.
It's really, really hard to shake the religous piousness you've been exposed to at an early age. Even if you shout to everyone who will or won't listen that you don't believe in it and act in ways that are in contrary to it, the idea of god and fear of him and his punishment will still be a part of you.
If you haven't been exposed to some sort of strict religous rheteroic, you will still spend your life trying to find something or someone to believe in.
Some really simple messages at the core, but, wow, is the imagery to get this across fantastic.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wise Blood.