Cara's Reviews > Not Exactly a Love Story

Not Exactly a Love Story by Audrey Couloumbis

Aug 13, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, net-galley, ebook, teen-fiction, st-als
Read from August 14 to 17, 2012

Vinnie is not having a good year, and he keeps messing up. He doesn't mean to make things harder for himself, but it keeps happening. First his parents split up, and then his mom starts dating someone new. This results in Vinnie moving to a new school with a new set of problems.

Patsy is one of the popular girls at school, and she is also Vinnie’s neighbor. She doesn’t seem to notice him at first. Vinnie finds her unlisted number and calls her late one night. It doesn’t go very well. He comes across as an obscene caller. He eventually manages to smooth things over and the phone calls become a nightly occurrence. Only Vinnie has never told Patsy who he is. Then, in real life, Vinnie starts hanging out with Patsy. Patsy seems torn between real Vinnie and phone Vinnie. Vinnie himself needs to decide how to tell Patsy his secret without losing what he has.

This book is set in the 1970s. That is important because there are no cell phones, caller ID, or any other way to tell who is calling.

Vinnie is completely safe making his nightly phone calls to Patsy.
Overall this was a solid read. The story moves at a good pace, and the characters are believable. I liked that Vinnie was a nice guy that just kept screwing up. We’ve all had those periods in our lives where we just can’t pull it together. It was also refreshing to read a book about a relationship from the guy’s perspective.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Exactly a Love Story.