Angelya (Tea in the Treetops)'s Reviews > Stitch

Stitch by Samantha Durante

Oct 31, 12

bookshelves: ya, paranormal, science-fiction, reviewed
Read from October 24 to 29, 2012

This review was originally posted on The Oaken Bookcase on October 31, 2012.

Alessa has recently started at a new and unfamiliar college. Depressed and withdrawn after the accidental death of her parents, she starts seeing a ghost of a young man in her house. Drawn to the ghost by a strange attraction, she tries to discover who he might have been. Her world is turned upside down once more when she discovers what is really going on at her college, and that nothing in her world is as it seems.

This book was an odd one to read – here I was, settling into a slightly bland college ghost story, getting the feeling that the tension was gradually building to some unspecified event when half-way through the book, BAM. Complete plot twist and non-stop action until the end. I’m not sure what else to say without give anything away, but I will say that I completely did not see that coming, despite the clues.

The characters are quite likeable and even though we haven’t seen a lot of Isaac yet, it sounds like his relationship with Alessa is going to be very sweet and profound in the next book. Alessa herself, along with the other female characters, seem very strong and capable.

The tension is built up so well once the truth is revealed that at some points I was holding my breath, waiting to see what would happen. It does get a little wordy – especially early on in the story. We could do with hearing less about college life and get into the Isaac-related action a little more quickly – I wonder if less patient readers might put the book down during the first half before the action gets going. That said, Stitch is a very well-written debut from Samantha Durante and I’ll be looking forward to reading what happens to Alessa and Isaac in future stories.

If you like a little bit of paranormal romance or you’re a fan of Dystopia, then make sure to add Stitch to your list!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stitch.