Rhonda's Reviews > Homecoming

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult
Recommended to Rhonda by: Alice
Recommended for: Young Adults
Read in December, 2008, read count: 1

In this adolescent novel, thirteen year old Dicey, her brothers James and Sammy, and sister Maybeth are abandoned in a mall parking lot by their mother. Don't get me wrong about their mother, though, she had a miserable life, and suffered from depression, she thought her children would be best without her. Dicey realizes she must set out to find the closest family she has, her rich Great-Aunt Cilia in Bridgeport. Getting to Aunt Cilia's is not easy, though, they barely had any money in their home in Conneticut, and have only a few dollars to travel with. Along the way, they make some friends and learn more about themselves and each other.
When they finally reach Aunt Cilia's house, they make a shocking discovery which soon sends them back onto the road, into Maryland, and to the true roots of their family, spirits, and personalities. Throughout their journey, the Tillermans learn important survival skills, like finding shelter, how to fish, and clamming. But they also learn the importance of family, bonding, and that when they stick together, anything can happen.

When I first thought about the plot of the book, I thought it would be impossible for four children to walk from Conneticut to Maryland. However, Voigt tells the story in a very believable way, (with plenty of details and lots of style) and it made me rethink the plot, that if they wanted to, the probably could walk that far. Cynthia Voigt puts LOTS of details and her own style into her writing, so even at the beginning of her book, you know exactly what is going on and what to expect from the book and from each character. I really liked the ending of this book, it was peaceful, and ended the story on a high note. However, Voigt wrote the book so well that I wanted to read more and find out what happens to the Tillermas.

In Cynthia Voigt's Homecoming, the Tillerman family are on a journey, at first to find a place for them to live, but eventually to rediscover their history and to learn about family bonding. This book is great for children in sixth grade and up, it is easy to read, but some of the thinking is deep. When I read the book Homecoming, I not only learned about the Tillerman family, but I learned to appreciate my life, what I have, and the problems that I have to deal with.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homecoming.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca You can read more -- she has a whole cycle of books (a little more spaced out than a series) about the Tillermans. I think the next one is Dicey's Song.