Carole's Reviews > Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

F_50x66
Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012
Read in August, 2012

This was really quite a wonderful book. The writing was excellent, the story and characters were very engaging and the author dealt with really important issues relating to war, religion,and business without being preachy.

Billy Lynn is a member of a commando squad in Iraq. They are home on leave at Thanksgiving, the ultimate American holiday, and are being glorified for a mission that they have just completed. They meet the President, various other political figures and are invited to attend a football game at the home of "America's Team", the Dallas Cowboys. The entire story takes place over the course of this game with flashbacks to previous events taking place in Billy's head.

Rarely have I loved and cared about a character as much as I loved Billy. He is sweet and honourable without ever being self-righteous. He has a (very) healthy interest in girls and sex but is never aggressive or macho about it. Billy is the all-American boy in all the best ways. His character and the way the author makes us care about him add a great deal of pathos to the story.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk.