Anthony Chavez's Reviews > Push

Push by Sapphire

Aug 15, 12

Read from August 13 to 15, 2012

-Definitely not for the squeamish or those who don't like harsh truths, sexual situations and cursing-

This book is packed with a heavy message that Sapphire drives home superbly. It was an easy read, but heavy in its own right.

"Push" rips you from your safe little cozy life and drops you into a concrete jungle that forces you to feel and experience life alongside Precious whose life, when we meet her, has been truly destroyed. Precious Jones was born a victim, and not by her own declaration. Precious Jones was born to an abusive mother who beat her and enslaved her to do her bidding, and a father who sexually abused and impregnated her. Her parents failed her in far too many ways.

We shadow Precious Jones as she works her way out of the vile life she lived. In spite of Precious Jones vicious and violent childhood, she perseveres. She goes from a child who couldn’t read to a teen who learns to read at an eighth grade level, and is determined to pass the G.E.D. and advance her education through college.

What I liked about Push is how Sapphire, the author, retained the integrity of the character by letting Precious Jones tell her story in her own words. It is written in the voice of Precious and I found it awkward at first to have to interpret the various misspellings and language issues. And yet, I wanted to experience the story, and the way it is written MAKES the story, and her voice all that stronger. I have no intention of itemizing the suffering and pain in her life, so suffice it to say it is one of constant trial and anguish. I can see why some would cringe and give this a lower rating or review due to the graphic content; however, I see every word in this novel as important and integral to the direction of the story.

In a way, it is a typical "harsh reality" book about a person who is struggling who meets someone that makes a difference in his or her life. I love books/movies about teachers and coaches who make a difference! But this book takes it one step further. Precious is born into a situation that is horrendous and devastating; however, she wants more for herself. Her journal writing and her poetry develops throughout the book and adds a lot to the character development. I think the thing that touched me about this book is when Precious asks why she was born into a family of abuse, hatred and neglect. This made me think about why I was born in to my family, a family that values love, respect, education and faith. Certainly our families helped make us who we are today - and Precious's family impacts her dramatically. A very interesting, heartbreaking, and thought-provoking read. I am looking forward to seeing the movie - I hope it does the book justice.

Great read - 5 stars.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Push.

08/13/2012 page 40