Tim's Reviews > XPD

XPD by Len Deighton

Oct 13, 15

A mixture of two interests of Deighton, the world of agents and the world of film.
Much of it has possible factual basis from published reports and memoirs, mainly places, dates and principal characters.
I'm not sure this book quite does it for me, interesting but not his best.
Deightons interests in film resulted in his novel about a fading Hollywood star and he also wrote the screenplay for ' Oh What a Lovely War ' although he had his name removed from the credits due to disagreements.

This book also carries one of Deighton's little quirks regarding alcohol.
In reviews of some of his other books I have noted that he will change the type of drink a character is drinking from one to another, completely different, within a few paragraphs.
In XPD Boyd Stuart is in a London pub, the Salisbury, with a CIA agent. He's drinking a gin and tonic, a couple of paragraphs later a women bumps into him, spilling his drink. Stuart wipes the split whisky off his sleeve.
Yes, it's his second drink, but you don't switch to from G & T to whisky, certainly Stuart wouldn't.
In one book two characters are having a drink. They finish, wash the glasses and put them away in a cupboard. Sentences later one is described as still drinking his drink.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read XPD.