Kelly's Reviews > An American Tragedy

195890
Dec 05, 07

bookshelves: general-fiction, 20th-century-classics
Read in November, 2007

Wow! Dreiser is no joke. Make no mistake; An American Tragedy is long and often times obsessive in its detail. There are approximately 500 pages of exposition leading up to the climatic moment! In truth it took everything in me to finish this book and not because I wasn't enjoying the story. It just seemed like it would never end. Yet in my moments of weakness, when I felt like I just couldn't go on, the story of Clyde Griffiths and his struggle to claw his way up the American social ladder was enough to keep me going. Clyde is the perfect combination of ruthless ambition and childish naiveté. His dogged attempts to circumvent all the socio-economic factors standing in the way of his success and his eventual comeuppance made this novel worth all the effort.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An American Tragedy.

Kelly I'm stuck. I read and I read and I get nowhere. . . 250 some odd pages in we still haven't gotten to the murder which is suppose to be central to the storyline. Help me, I'm lost in a sea of Dreiser!

message 2: by Mor (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mor This is exactly how I read the book. I thought it was too lengthy and descriptive, but I had to know how the story of Clyde Griffith ended.