Kay's Reviews > Queen Lucia

Queen Lucia by E.F. Benson

Aug 01, 2007

bookshelves: ef_benson, humor-whimsy, favorites, re-reading, fiction
Read in April, 2007

This book is my cure for the doldrums -- a comic masterpiece. Granted, it helps to be an anglophile and a bit of a misanthrope to boot, but the antics of the villagers of Riseholme, led (or dominated) by the immortal Lucia always make me realize just how absurdly delicious life can be.

Once a Luciaphile, always a Luciaphile. It's a select but oddly inclusive group, I've found over the years. Most of my closest friends are Benson devotees. And those folks who aren't? Well, let's just say I don't feel much of a connection to them. This book is, in the words of a recent New York Times op ed piece, a "deal breaker" for me.

Every few years I reread the entire six-book Lucia saga over again. This first volume in the saga was as delightful as I remembered it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen Lucia.

05/29/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Cindie (new)

Cindie Thank you, Kay, for this review. I just picked up my 20 pound compendium and began reading Lucia once again. I felt my doldrums ooze away immediately. :)

message 2: by John (new)

John I have the omnibus edition as an ebook -- read the first three earlier in the year, and fully agree they're great for a fun break when you REALLY need one!

message 3: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay It's been too long since I re-read this. Even though I know what will happen, the episodes never fail to amuse me.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Anglophile? Check. Bit of a misanthrope? Check. This book landed on my "recommendations" list based on liking Wodehouse's Jeeves, and your review put it on my "to read" list.

message 5: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay For years I always took along a Wodehouse novel whenever I traveled -- the perfect travel companion. There's a high correlation between Wodehouse and Benson fans.

Karen Lundberg Don't stop here! Mapp and Lucia, etc. just as delicious

message 7: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay Yes, as I mentioned above, it's a six-novel series. And then there are the two Tom Holt "wartime" follow-up novels, not quite as good but still well worth reading.

Jose Santos How anglophile can a portuguese be to like these books? I think I have the correct amount to love them!